Typical Italian dishes champion processed carbohydrates and fatty meats. But you can still craft a healthy Italian dish borrowing some of the flavor inspiration without pasta, bread, and/or prosciutto. This main dish is just a simple lean protein: chicken; combined with a healthy bruschetta topping: tomatoes, onions, garlic and basil. So while you may feel like you indulging by virtue of the wonderful flavor sensations, you’re actually consuming a dish high in protein, vitamins, mineral and nutrients.
Go beyond organic by asking for pasture-raised when selecting your chicken. This way you ensure the chickens have been raised humanely; they’re also the most nutrient rich! Additionally, local chicken farms are the way to go to ensure smaller flock size and a more natural lifestyle for their chickens. Chicken is best known for its protein content, but it actually provides broad nutrient support. All B vitamins are present in chicken meat, as well as branched chain amino acids (good for support of cardiac and skeletal muscle). In terms of minerals, chicken contains selenium, zinc, copper, phosphorus, magnesium and iron.
The ‘bruschetta’ is all fruit and vegetables so we’re talking low fat and little calories. Tomatoes provide vitamins A, C, K, folate and potassium. They’re also naturally low in sodium, saturated fat, cholesterol and calories. Red onions are one of the best natural sources of quercetin, a bioflavonoid that is particularly well suited for scavenging free radicals. This bioflavonoid is cancer fighting, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial. Lastly, with a glycemic index (GI) rating of 10, red onions are considered a low glycemic food.
This main dish is a serious no-brainer; so simple, so easy and so healthy. You’ll probably find yourself preparing this main dish at least once a week. Combined with some fresh greens or whole-grains, you have yourself the perfect healthy meal!
Servings: 2-3 as a main dish
- 3 or 4 chicken breasts
- 4 or 5 small red tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Handful basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sprinkle some salt and pepper over top, cover and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes (depending on the size of your breasts).
- Meanwhile, combine chopped tomatoes, garlic, onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt and basil in a bowl. Refrigerate until chicken is ready to be served and spoon over top of the chicken.
- Place in broiler for an additional 2-4 minutes if adding melted cheese atop.