The annual NBC broadcast special chronicling the iconic GoPro® IRONMAN® World Championship triathlon will premiere on Saturday, November 16 at 4:30 p.m. ET. For 35 years, the IRONMAN World Championship has showcased the power and competitiveness of the world’s top endurance athletes as well as some of the most awe-inspiring stories of courage and determination from age-group athletes and everyday individuals.
The 90-minute show will provide viewers an all-access experience as more than 30 cameras captured the action from the air, across the barren lava fields and under the water of Kailua Bay during the 140.6-mile challenge that took place on October 12, 2013 in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i.
Click on the following link for a preview of this year’s broadcast: http://bit.ly/1i1cvV6.
The broadcast special spans from the pre-race build-up to the big day, unveiling the intensity, emotion, physical demands and dramatic competition as 2,000 athletes from over 50 countries swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles and run 26.2 miles across rugged Hawaiian terrain, proving ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE®.
Among the features of this year’s GoPro IRONMAN World Championship special:
- New and unique course perspective utilizing GoPro cameras
- Exclusive interviews with current and former World Champions and other IRONMAN® finishers
- Record-smashing performance of Female World Champion Mirinda (Rinny) Carfrae of Australia
- History-making finish of Male World Champion Frederik Van Lierde of Belgium
- First time journeys of celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay and retired pro football star and MVP Hines Ward
- The remarkable story of physically challenged athlete Karen Aydelott who qualified in 2012 as an able-bodied athlete but didn’t finish
- Fearless 78-year-old Harriet Anderson, who competes to become the oldest female to ever finish the IRONMAN World Championship
Longtime sportscaster Al Trautwig will again narrate the annual special and offer viewers a front-row seat to one of the most captivating events in sports. A programming fixture on NBC since 1991, the IRONMAN World Championship special has garnered more than 40 Emmy Award nominations and earned 16 Emmys along with many other accolades.
For more information about the 2013 GoPro IRONMAN World Championship and NBC broadcast special, please visit www.ironman.com.